-->

Monday, January 24, 2011

I dropped six dress sizes after doctors warned my weight was straining my heart, says new Miss Slinky

Enlarge Confession: People thought I was pregnant said Dominique Bellas, 26, from Leigh-on-Sea

Confession: People thought I was pregnant said Dominique Bellas, 26, from Leigh-on-Sea

A woman who was bullied at school for being overweight has been named Miss Slinky 2011 after losing 8st and dropping six dress sizes in just over a year.

Dominique Bellas, 26, was teased about her size from the age of 10 and weighed more than 19st by August 2009.

She was even mistaken for being pregnant while at her heaviest.

The council worker said she was spurred on to start slimming after her brother was diagnosed with the heart condition left ventricular cardiomyopathy.

The aspiring model and actress was warned by doctors she may also have the disease.

Miss Bellas, of Leigh-on-Sea in Essex, said: 'I knew that being overweight was putting extra strain on my heart so I had to do something about it.

'I'd been in denial for so long and it was time to face up to it. On the outside I was confident - perhaps over confident - and always making jokes, but I think that was just my way of hiding the fact that my weight was making me really unhappy.'

Before she joined Slimming World in September 2009, Miss Bellas said her normal diet included peanut butter on toast and a banana for breakfast, two rounds of sandwiches for lunch and creamy pasta dishes or takeaways for dinner.

The former drama student, who attended the Arden School of Theatre in Manchester, said her dreams of being a model had been held back by her size.

More...

  • This cynical five-a-day myth: Nutrition expert claims we've all been duped

But after losing more than 10in from her waist, Miss Bellas said she now hoped to pursue her ambitions.

Dominique Bellas, 26
Dominique Bellas, 26

New start: Miss Bellas said she would love to start modelling after losing 8st in a year

'I had a few successful acting jobs and I was even approached by a modelling agency after they saw my headshot, but I knew that as soon as they realised how heavy I was I wouldn't stand a chance so I didn't pursue it,' she said.

'Now I've lost weight, I've got so much more confidence in the way I look and I'd love to get into modelling.'

Miss Bellas, who works for Lambeth Council in south London, lost the weight by eating a more healthy diet, joining a gym and playing badminton.

She now weighs just over 11st and has gone from a size 24 to a size 12, earning Slimming World's Miss Slinky 2011 award and picking up a £2,000 cash prize.

She said: ;For the first time my confidence is 100% real and I feel good top to toe.

;Even better I know I can stay feeling this way because with Slimming World I've got the tools to stay slim for life - a healthy attitude to food and great support too.

Share this:

Related Posts
Disqus Comments
loading...