-->

Saturday, March 5, 2011

A whole different ball game: Meet the women aiming to win the World Cup

Heard about the England footballers who have a chance of winning the World Cup? No, seriously… After being let down too often by the game’s overpaid male stars, we meet the ladies who have the talent to bring home the trophy (and woe betide any man who says women don’t know the offside rule)

England women's football team

Dream team, clockwise from left: Casey Stoney, Fara Williams, Katie Chapman, Rachel Brown, Rachel Yankey, Steph Houghton and Faye White

The group of leggy and enviably toned young women in acid-bright designer sportswear could be a bunch of yummy mummies about to do an aerobics class. The only clue to their real identity are the studs on the soles of their high-tech trainers.

These girls are no dilettante exercisers getting ready for a pre-skinny latte workout, but members of the England women’s football team, nicknamed the Three Lionesses. Throw a ball at them and they are likely to juggle it on their toes before whacking it back with interest. Almost certainly you won’t have heard of any of them, but (whisper it quietly) the girls’ recent record is much more successful than that of England’s toothless Lions. They reached the quarterfinals of the World Cup in 2007, were runners-up in the 2009 Women’s Euros, being beaten in the final by Germany (some things never change), and this summer will compete in the World Cup finals in Germany, beginning in June.

Asked if they can win it, they all respond in time-honoured fashion, with much talk of ‘taking one game at a time’, ‘no easy teams’, and so on (sporting clichés are no respecter of the gender divide). But Hope Powell, the team’s inspirational 44-year-old head coach who was awarded a CBE last year, says: ‘We’ve definitely got the capability to do well.’

Apart from the World Cup, the profile of the women’s game – where top players might earn £30,000 a year – will be given another boost thanks to a major initiative by the Football Association, which is investing more than £3 million setting up a new Women’s Super League (WSL). Beginning next month, this is an elite league of eight teams whose games will be broadcast on the TV sports network ESPN, opening up a whole new potential audience. ‘The women’s game is in good shape right now,’ says Hope.

So, meet the team...


THE CAPTAIN

Faye White MBE, 33

Faye White

CLUB Arsenal Ladies.

POSITION Central defender. Faye, England captain since 2002, began playing soccer as a seven-year-old, kicking a ball around the back garden with her brother and his friends. ‘Being England captain is the biggest honour you can achieve as far as I’m concerned. There’s a lot of responsibility and pressure, but it’s something I relish.’ When not playing or training, she works in a development role for Arsenal, which includes encouraging schoolchildren to play the game. ‘My life is football 24/7.’

OVER THE MOON

‘My performance against Sweden in the group phase of the Women’s Euro 2009 finals, when I scored a goal and was named Player of the Match.’

SICK AS A PARROT

‘Losing 6-2 against Germany in the final of Euro 2009. I’ve won a lot of trophies with Arsenal, but it’s the losses that stick with me.’

PIN-UP PLAYER

‘David Beckham. I love how passionate he is about his sport. And despite all the money and showbiz, he continues to motivate himself and prove people wrong when they doubt him.’

WOMEN I ADMIRE

‘Growing up it was people like Steffi Graf and Denise Lewis. Like them, I want to be a role model for younger girls, because I never had that within women’s soccer.’

OFF THE BALL

‘I love watching action movies such as The Matrix and Inception. If I go to see a romcom, it’s probably because my fiancé Keith has dragged me there.’

POST-MATCH ANALYSIS

‘I hope that I can stay involved in the game and help it continue to grow. And I’d like to get into more extreme sports, such as parachuting, skiing, driving fast cars and trekking up mountains. I’ve put off doing them because I’ve suffered quite a few injuries to my knees and I hate to think how they’ll feel in ten years’ time – I do worry about that.’


THE YOUNG MUM
Katie Chapman, 28

Katie Chapman

CLUB Arsenal Ladies.

POSITION Central midfield.
Katie is the only England player with children. She and her husband Mark, who works for EDF Energy, have two sons: Harvey, seven, and Riley, two. She trained through both pregnancies until two weeks before the births, and was back in training six weeks later. ‘I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. Now my number one fans are my boys and my husband.’’

OVER THE MOON

‘Winning the quadruple with Arsenal in 2007, which means we won the Women’s Premier League, League Cup, FA Cup and UEFA Cup.’

SICK AS A PARROT

‘When one of my former clubs, Charlton Athletic Ladies, was disbanded after funding was withdrawn when the men’s team was relegated from the Premier League.’

PIN-UP PLAYERS

‘Cesc Fabregas and Steven Gerrard are great, hard-working players who score goals and have a big impact on games.’

WOMEN I ADMIRE

‘Kelly Holmes, who’s got the grit and determination to succeed and doesn’t stop until she gets there. If there’s something I want, I do my best to go and get it.’

DIRTY GIRLS

‘Of course there are dirty players in the game, but I’m not one of them! It’s a very physical game, which is why people should come and watch. I think they’d be surprised.’

POST-MATCH ANALYSIS

‘I’d like to be a beautician, which surprises people. I’ve already done my manicure and pedicure diploma.’

THE BEYONCE FAN
Casey Stoney, 28

Casey Stoney

CLUB Chelsea Ladies.

POSITION Central defender.

Casey, who describes herself as a ‘no-nonsense’ player, psyches herself up for internationals by listening to her iPod. ‘It depends what sort of mood I’m in, but usually something between mellow and heavy. I normally listen to Beyoncé, actually, and try to visualise what I’m going to do in the game.’

OVER THE MOON

‘Going to China for the 2007 World Cup was an amazing experience. We spent about four weeks acclimatising before we even played a game, so we had a bit of downtime to do things such as shopping. I have to get a fridge magnet for my mum wherever I go!’

SICK AS A PARROT

‘Getting sent off against Italy in the first group game of the Euro 2009 finals. I clipped another player and she went down. The laws of the game ruled that I had to go, but I don’t think it was a foul.’

PIN-UP PLAYER

‘Paul Scholes, an ultimate professional throughout his career, and one of the best midfielders English football has produced.’

WOMAN I ADMIRE

‘Jane Tomlinson, the woman who was diagnosed with terminal breast cancer and survived for seven years, raising so much money and awareness.
She fought with everything she had. What she achieved goes beyond anything we’ve done as sports people.’

OFF THE BALL

‘When I’m having a quiet time, I love a good book. Harry Potter is a favourite and I like thrillers by authors such as Martina Cole and Mo Hayder.’

POST-MATCH ANALYSIS

‘I’m not sure – maybe join the fire brigade or the police, or perhaps continue to coach.’


THE HANDY GIRL
Rachel Brown, 30

Rachel Brown

CLUB Everton Ladies.

POSITION Goalkeeper.

Rachel has what she describes as ‘man hands. I can pick up a football with one hand – useful for a goalkeeper.’ She spent five years in the US playing soccer for the universities of Alabama and Pittsburgh while completing a degree in sports science. She now teaches a variety of subjects in local schools, including exercise, healthy eating, and business and enterprise. Her boyfriend Ian Finnis is a professional golfer.

OVER THE MOON

‘Winning last year’s FA Cup final, when we beat Arsenal 3-2 in extra time.’

SICK AS A PARROT

‘I made a shocking error in the 2007 World Cup quarterfinal against the USA which cost us the game. A long ball bounced over me and an opposing player ran round me and put it in the net.’

PIN-UP PLAYER

‘Edwin van der Sar, the Manchester United goalkeeper, who’s still at the top at 40. That’s a long time to be so dedicated to a sport.’

WOMAN I ADMIRE

‘The gymnast Beth Tweddle is a good friend of mine and her drive to become number one in the world has been an inspiration. Even when times were tough, she never missed a day’s training, and always did it with a smile on her face.’

INJURY TIME

‘I’ve had a few knee injuries, the worst being a torn cruciate ligament that kept me out for nearly a year. I’ve dislocated a finger, had my front teeth kicked out, and a few other cuts.’

OFF THE BALL

‘I love walking our dog Zak, an 18-month-old working cocker spaniel who’s like our son. As soon as I’ve finished my playing career, I want to start a family.’


THE GOALSCORER
Fara Williams, 27

Fara Williams

CLUB Everton Ladies.

POSITION Midfield.

Despite being a midfielder, Fara is the second leading goalscorer in the current squad, having notched up 34 goals for England in 89 matches – a record that puts David Beckham in the shade. She believes men are less patronising about the women’s game now, not least because the players are in better shape, thanks to improved training and nutrition. ‘We might not be as quick or powerful as the men, but I’m sure there are a couple of players in our team as skilful as Cristiano Ronaldo.’

OVER THE MOON

‘Making my England debut against Portugal in 2001 was just the best feeling. You want to impress, and you have a buzz in your belly knowing that you’re starting your first game for your country.’

SICK AS A PARROT

‘I missed the quarterfinal of the 2007 World Cup after getting two bookings in the group stages. Having to watch from the stands was horrible – something I definitely don’t want to happen this year.’

PIN-UP PLAYERS

‘Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard can do everything, plus they’ve got passion and desire. They bring that little bit extra to their game.’

WOMEN I ADMIRE

‘Our England coach Hope Powell has done so much for the women’s game, and Mo Marley, my manager at Everton and coach of the England under-19s team, has followed in her footsteps. I would be happy if I could achieve half of what they’ve done.’

OFF THE BALL

‘I love going on holiday. I was in Hawaii last October, Las Vegas in March and Los Angeles before that.’

POST-MATCH ANALYSIS

‘I work as a coach for the FA – when I give up playing I definitely want to stay in coaching and one day be a manager.’



THE RISING STAR
Steph Houghton, 22

Steph Houghton

CLUB Arsenal Ladies.

POSITION Midfield.

At 22 and with just 12 senior caps, Steph is one of the squad’s youngest members. She played for Sunderland and Leeds before joining Arsenal last summer. Asked why more women don’t play soccer, she says, ‘If men are successful at football they can make a living from it, whereas girls tend to give up playing and put their effort into something that will give them a career.’

OVER THE MOON

‘Scoring my first goal for the England senior team against South Africa in a friendly in 2009.’

SICK AS A PARROT

‘Two days before I was due to go to China for the 2007 World Cup, I tripped over a hurdle in training and broke my leg.’

PIN-UP PLAYERS

‘David Beckham, a great ambassador for football, and Steven Gerrard, who brings so much energy to Liverpool.’

WOMAN I ADMIRE

‘The world heptathlon champion Jessica Ennis, who missed the Beijing Olympics because of injury and is now a world beater. She’s young and hard-working, with a bright future ahead – like me, I hope.’

A GAME OF OTHER HALVES

‘I have a boyfriend, Michael, but he’s a police officer and doesn’t have the money to splash out on shopping. Our HABs are definitely not as glamorous as the WAGs!’

PRE-MATCH WARM UP

‘I like to listen to dance music to get the adrenalin going.’

POST-MATCH ANALYSIS

‘I’ve completed a sports science degree at Loughborough. I’d like to have a family and a successful job in sports science.’


THE VETERAN
Rachel Yankey MBE, 31

Rachel Yankey

CLUB Arsenal Ladies.

POSITION Midfield.

With 105 caps, Rachel is the most experienced player in the current squad, becoming only the second woman to top the 100 mark, and was awarded the MBE for services to sport in 2005. She admits the men’s game is faster and more physical, but thinks there isn’t much difference in skill levels. ‘And this will become more evident in the next five to ten years, as younger women now have the opportunity to attend regular training sessions at centres of excellence.’

OVER THE MOON

‘Getting my 100th cap last year in a match against Turkey was massive. We won 3-0, I scored a goal and was captain for the night.’

SICK AS A PARROT

‘Losing last season’s FA Cup final against Everton was a low point.’

PIN-UP PLAYER

‘The former Arsenal forward Ian Wright always made the game look fun, and that made me want to play.’

IT’S ALL IN THE GAME

‘I can’t imagine what I would have done if I hadn’t played football. It’s allowed me to travel, and given me the confidence to work with children.’

UP FOR THE CUP

‘Brazil, Germany and the USA will be favourites to win the World Cup, and to win it we’ve got to beat teams like them. But we’re up for the challenge, definitely.’

POST-MATCH ANALYSIS

‘A few years ago I set up a company offering coaching to primary schools near where I live in London. It’s been successful, so hopefully I can keep it going.’


To find out how you can play a part in shaping the new Women’s Super League, the FA WSL, or for information about playing football in your local area at all levels, visit fawsl.com

To read more about the England squad and the other players, visit thefa.com/england/womens-seniors

Share this:

Related Posts
Disqus Comments
loading...